Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Dumbest Music Prediction, So Far

In the summer of 1987 I was looking forward to becoming a first-time father. And even though my oldest is now a college sophomore, the following scene is still crystal clear in my mind.

At that time Saturday night meant one thing: Headbangers Ball on MTV. I was relaxing on the couch, getting ready for a brand new video by some band I had never heard of. After watching the video, and allowing for some time to mentally process what I just saw, I shared my prediction with everyone in the room.

"This band isn't going anywhere", I said deliberately.

Oh, by the way, the video was none other than "Welcome To The Jungle" by Guns N' Roses; a song that has gone on to become a part of popular culture. Its parent album, Appetite For Destruction, went on to sell over 30 million copies worldwide and holds the record for fastest selling debut album in the history of rock and roll.

Almost 25 years have passed since that summer's night, and I still haven't made a prediction as dumb as that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shout it out loud! Tell the world what you think.